Finding the best wholesale supplier directory can seem like an impossible task, especially if you don’t know where to look or who to ask for help. However, with the right mindset and the right questions, this exhaustive search can be narrowed down to one, two, or even three directories that will give you plenty of information about wholesalers directories in Australian and the rest of the world. This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to find the best wholesale supplier directory possible.
What is a wholesale supplier directory?
A wholesale supplier directory is a platform or service that connects suppliers with businesses who are looking for quality products in bulk and at low prices. The internet is full of options when it comes to finding suppliers; it can be challenging to know which directories are worth your time and which ones aren’t. On top of that, there are numerous online wholesale marketplace websites that allow access and wholesale buying, which can add to the confusion.
This guide will help you navigate all these factors so you can find an appropriate supplier directory quickly and easily!
A little more about wholesale supplier directories.
There are many advantages to buying products directly from manufacturers; one main advantage is the price – often, you will find lower prices on wholesale goods than on similar items sold in retail stores.
Advantages of registering with a wholesale supplier directory
1. Suppliers that don’t have an online store or digital catalogue can utilise wholesale directories as their business website seeing that directories will allow you to include relevant business information.
2. Easiest method to showcase your business as being wholesale
3. By joining a wholesale directory, it allows you to be in front of retailers, similar to being at a tradeshow but better.
4. Cheaper than trying to rank for SEO in Google search.
5. Increase creditability for your business regarding wholesale aspect.
How wholesale directories benefit retailers?
1. Using a wholesale directory allows you to source products from makers and manufacturers from all over Australia. You can get in touch directly with suppliers and their teams on a peer-to-peer level. In many cases, you’ll be able to get products at better prices by going through a supplier directory and contacting the suppliers direct.
2. You’ll have access to much more information about these suppliers. In some cases, you’ll be able to read detailed descriptions about their business, along with contact information. In other instances, wholesale directories will give you access to manufacturer profiles filled with pictures and videos of their products. These days, it’s rare for businesses not to have a website – or at least an online presence through social media platforms such as Facebook or Twitter.
3. Great wholesale directories will have filtering systems that allows you to quickly search and find the right products and suppliers. This is especially useful if your company has limited working capital or you require products in smaller quantities. For example, you could search for low minimum order suppliers or eco suppliers, etc. This is a massive time saver.
4. Wholesalers on one platform, which means less time needed when searching for your next supplier.
Disadvantages of a wholesale directory
The number one disadvantage of listing your business on a wholesale directory is that you may not get any control over your listings. In most cases, you would only run in to this problem if the directory is free or is outdated and unmaintained.
Other than that, there are no significant cons to registering yourself in wholesale supplier directories.
How to choose the right wholesale supplier directory to list your business with
That’s the million-dollar question. It’s hard to determine which wholesale supplier directory will be best suited to your business or products until you actually put them to the test.
Here are our top tips for finding the best wholesale supplier directory for your brand:
1. Like anything, start with a Google search and see what results are presented to you.
Pro tip: If a directory shows up on the first page few pages, then it’s a good sign.
2. Check each wholesale supplier directory to evaluate the quality of the platform, such as content, activity, style & presentation etc.
3. Is the directory third-party ad-free? This is a big factor when choosing the right directory. Why? Because ads have the potential to drive away traffic and direct visitors to other websites, which means away from your business page.
Pro tip: There’s plenty of large companies that run third-party ads on their website – ads are acceptable, just as long as the directory is strategic with the ad placement location in a way that will not disadvantage you, the supplier.
4. Websites that are heavily saturated with third-party ads tend to be free to add your business profile as they are using the website as an affiliate platform to generate income.
Are there any wholesale directories in Australia?
Yes, there are multiple Australian wholesale directories. From what we’ve seen, each directory does differ from the other in some way.
Some wholesale directories that you may come across during your search will likely be industry or product-specific, e.g. fashion products, baby products, homewares, commercial & industrial products etc.
B2B Hub is the only Australian supplier directory platform that focuses on the wholesale supplier sector and within various niches. With that said, we also have retailers in mind to ensure our platform is user friendly and beneficial for both wholesale suppliers and retailers alike.
Top tips to get the most out of a wholesale supplier directory
The below tips will depend on the wholesale supplier directory and what they will allow and not allow.
1. Put in the effort to add relevant business details – the more information you can add, the better, including social links, business emails, etc.
2. Include good images of your business or products – this will provide potential retailers with a glimpse of what you offer.
3. Keep your brand or business profile page up to date.
4. Include a good description – like Google, directory websites operate using keyword filtering, so not only will it help with the presentation of your business, but it will increase the likelihood of your profile appearing in searches on both the wholesale supplier directory website and Google search.
5. Be sure to state that you wholesale on your website and social media pages to inform retailers that you offer wholesale or bulk purchases.
If you’re in business, it’s helpful to understand how wholesale supplier directories can help you save money and work with reliable companies. A directory provides a database of suppliers, so when you’re ready to add items or services to your product line, there will be plenty of companies who offer what you need at reasonable prices. In fact, outsourcing isn’t for everyone. Don’t be too quick to dive in headfirst; doing so without any research could cost you time and money even if you know what you want and where to find it.